Farmers Market Program Returns in June
Jun 6, 2013, 6 a.m.
The Lebanon County Area Agency on Aging will again be the distributing agency for the Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program (FMNP) checks in 2013.
The purpose of the FMNP, administered by the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture, is to provide to seniors resources in the form of fresh, nutritious, unprepared fruits and vegetables from farmers markets and to expand the awareness and use of farmers markets and increase sales at such markets.
Program highlights for 2013 are as follows:
Eligibility – Eligible persons must be Lebanon County residents and must be 60 years of age or older during 2013. Income guidelines are $21,257 for one person and $28,694 for two people. When picking up checks, persons must show proof of residence and age. Proof of income need not be shown; it is a “self-declaration.”
Proxy Forms – If an eligible senior is unable to pick up their own checks, they may have an authorized person, a “proxy,” pick up checks for them, provided the senior completes and signs the official proxy form. The proxy signing the proxy form must be the same person picking up the checks and signing the check register for the senior.
Completed proxy forms, limited to four per person, must be brought to the distribution site by the proxy in order to receive checks for the eligible senior. Blank proxy forms will be available at all distribution sites in advance.
Benefits – Eligible persons receive four $5 checks for a total benefit of $20 one time during the program year.
Timeframes – FMNP checks can be used June 1 through Nov. 30, 2013.
Eligible Food – FMNP checks may only be used to purchase produce grown or produce that is able to grow in Pennsylvania. FMNP checks may not be used at grocery stores.
All distribution times will be 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. except Maple Street (10 a.m. to 2 p.m.).
- June 6 – Maple Street Senior Community Center (first-floor auditorium), 710 Maple St., Lebanon
- June 10 – Townehouse Apartments, 1111 Reinoehl St., Lebanon
- June 12 – Palmyra Senior Community Center, Palmyra Interfaith Manor, 101 S. Railroad St., Palmyra
- June 13 – Annville Senior Community, 200 S. White Oak St., Annville
- June 17 – Myerstown Senior Community Center, 59 N. Ramona Road, Myerstown
- June 20 – Stevens Towers Apartments, 10th and Willow streets, Lebanon
- June 25 – Northern Lebanon Senior Community Center, 135 N. Lancaster St., Jonestown
- June 27 – Willow Terrace Apartments, Eighth and Willow streets, Lebanon
- July 9 – Washington Arms Apartments, 303 Chestnut St., Lebanon
- July 11 – Poplar Terrace Apartments, 605 S. Eighth St., Lebanon
Lebanon County Area Agency on Aging cannot guarantee checks to eligible seniors at each distribution site. Checks are handed out on a first-come, first-served basis.
Eligible seniors are welcome to attend any distribution site to receive checks. If an eligible senior resides in one high-rise, for example, he/she may go to any other high-rise or any senior center to receive checks.
- Are you recently retired or considering retirement in the near future?